MARGARET M. SHEAHAN
Ms. Sheahan provides legal advice and representation to both private and public sector employers and to individuals in all aspects of their workforce relationships. She gives counsel aimed at preventing the kinds of employer-employee conflicts that lead to litigation or support union organizing efforts. Her lodestar is to ensure that her business clients’ employee relations policies and practices comply with all regulatory and other legal requirements, reflect the “best practices” of the employee relations field and give effect to the client’s business goals. She has extensive experience in:
- Defending workplace discrimination claims before concerned State and federal agencies and courts; Assisting employers in drafting affirmative action plans and defending them during OFCCP and State agency compliance and pre-award audits;
- Conducting investigations of internal discrimination and harassment complaints and assisting in interactive explorations of accommodation alternatives;
- Providing workforce-wide anti-harassment and other training as well as individualized managerial coaching on employee selection, evaluation and disciplinary procedures.
- Assisting employers to achieve and maintain compliance with federal and State compensation mandates by conducting internal audits of pay practices and exempt/non-exempt employee designations as well as defending federal and State government-initiated audits, administrative charges and judicial claims;
- Helping employers manage federal and State Family & Medical Leave Act obligations through defense of administrative and judicial claims and policy development, education and implementation;
- Working with employers to maintain an existing union-free status and resist union election campaign drives, to negotiate and implement collective bargaining contracts, to manage the grievance-arbitration process, to face union strike situations and defend unfair labor practice proceedings before the National Labor Relations Board, the Connecticut State Board of Labor Relations and the courts.
- Guiding employers in protecting their investments in proprietary information and business development interests by devising, defending and prosecuting non-competition and confidentiality agreements.
In assisting our individual clients, Peg provides strong advice and counsel about employment contracts, severance agreements, rights and obligations under State and federal anti-discrimination laws, FMLA matters, pay and benefits rules, sex and other workplace harassment issues and non-competition/confidentiality agreements. She also represents individuals before all concerned federal and State employment-related agencies and in court.
A 1980 graduate of the New York University School of Law, Peg is admitted to practice before the New York and Connecticut State Bars, the U.S. District Courts for the Southern District of New York and the District of Connecticut, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Professionally, Peg is a member of the American, Connecticut, Greater Bridgeport and Fairfield County Bar Associations. She serves as the Labor & Employment Law subject editor of the Connecticut Bar Journal and on the CBA Labor and Employment Section’s Executive Committee. Peg has been rated “AV” by the Martindale-Hubbell® legal reference service and has been selected for inclusion in the 2013 edition of the Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers™. In 2011 she was selected as Connecticut's Women in Business Champion of the Year by the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Peg has been a member of the board of the award-winning workforce development organization, The Workplace, Inc., since 2000, and serves on its Executive, Bylaws and Personnel Committees. She also serves on the board of directors and Executive Committee of the Bridgeport Regional Business Council, and was twice honored as the BRBC’s “Volunteer of the Year.” She sits on the Advisory and Regional Boards of the Women’s Business Development Council, an entrepreneurial educational organization. Ms. Sheahan also serves on the advisory board of Pacific House f/k/a the Stamford Shelter for the Homeless. She has been appointed by the Town Council to serve on the Board of Trustees of the Stratford Library Association since 2013.
Ms. Sheahan has been selected for inclusion annually in The Best Lawyers® directory since 2012, and in 2015 The Best Lawyers in Employment Law – Individuals®.
Ms. Sheahan has been selected as the United States Small Business Administration's 2011 Connecticut's Women in Business Champion of the Year. U.S. Small Business Administration.pdf
In 2018, for the thirteenth consecutive year, Ms. Sheahan has been selected to the Connecticut Super Lawyers listing (Please click here to view Super Lawyer profile) and in 2018 was included in the Top 25: 2018 Women Connecticut Super Lawyers List.
Ms. Sheahan was named as a "Top Lawyer" in Fairfield County, in the practice of Labor and Employment Law and Civil Litigation, by Moffly Media for the years 2010-2013, and one of “the 200 Outstanding Lawyers in Fairfield County” in 2016 and 2017.
Ms. Sheahan was named a 2015 Woman of the Year by the Connecticut Labor & Employment Women.
Attorney Sheahan can be reached at 203-873-0240 or email@example.com